Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Eve of Fatherhood

Fatherhood is probably the most important job I will ever have. Then why am I so nervous? I have a great father who was a great example of what a loving father should be. He was supportive, loving, and there for me. He actually gave me some advice the other day. He told me to rest some this weekend and I said "Yeah, I better before Abby gets here, because that's when sleep ends." He immediately jumped on me about my attitude. He said "you must have a positive attitude about things. She (Abby) will be able to sense if you are upset and she will react to that." It makes perfect sense. I have to be comfortable around my daughter if she is to be comfortable with me.

I think most of my trepidation stems from the fact that I don't know what I'm doing. I've never been a father before. My limited experience is the one time I babysat a two year old by myself. However, my wife seems extremely capable of birthing our daughter and them coming home with all confidence and grace to raise her without problems. I have asked and I know she will help me as we learn together.

There are many things I look forward in raising my daughter. Those special moments like first steps, first words, cuddling with her, and even waking up in the middle of the night to help take care of her. I also look forward to fishing, golfing, swimming, talking, watching concerts, attending ball games, etc. It will be an adventure and I accept the challenge (as if I had a choice) and the joys of fatherhood.

Until next time...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog, fatherhood is amazing...we'll be able to share stories for many years to come.

Anonymous said...

im sure ull be a great diddy. just be nicer to her than me, and im sure she'll be fine.

Anonymous said...

I just got to reading some of your blogs and decided to reread this one.
You are such an INCREDIBILE daddy to Abigail! You have helped me in so many ways and I've enjoyed watching you with her. It blesses me more than you'll ever know to see you with her!
I love the way her eyes light up the room when you walk in the door. She truly loves her daddy! And so do I!!!