Thursday, February 19, 2009

Abby's Epiphany


Last week Abby said something that upset her mother to the point of weeping. I'm no psychologist, but I think it was a bench mark in her development. Playfully April was asking Abby if she was "mommy's baby," surprisingly Abby gave a definite "no" to her question. With a puzzled look April said "what are you?" Clear as bell Abby said "I'm a big girl (holding out the word bigggg)." April was devastated and I sat amazed. Our little girl whom we brought home from the hospital in preemie clothes and was completely needy of every moment of our attention is now able discern the fact that she was no longer a baby. She can walk, knows what she wants to eat and can tell us whether she wants chicken or mac-n-cheese. She isn't a baby as far as developmentally, but she will always be mommy and daddy's baby even when she's 30 and has her own children. I think this is something that most parents go through. Kids grow up too fast and with each milestone they become less reliant on their parents and while that is gratifying it is a scary place too. I'm loving it!

2 comments:

Tasha said...

awwww Its bittersweet isnt it? :(

jeffsalyerjr said...

Yes but I am loving every step we take. I love it when she grabs my finger and tugs me in a direction and say "help me daddy...Nemo DDD pease"

Everything in the world is somehow ok when this happens.