Monday, February 16, 2009

Classic Films



Having a Master's degree in film is something I never thought I would have and as of this May it will be reality. I have always loved movies, but never really studied cinema (there is a difference). After my first semester I found a love for studying film in academic terms beyond that what you would read in Entertainment Weekly. My thesis is an academic look at the Rocky films. Maybe in the future I will get more specific about its contents.

One of my favorite aspects of film study is history, specifically the Golden years of Hollywood. This summer I am teaching a course in Early Film History from 1910-1950. It should be a great course. We are going to watch several old films and discuss them in terms of content and history. I am really looking forward to teaching it. It is open to any student at Lee U.

In the next few weeks, I want to present a classic movie of the week for the blog's readers. A Jeff Salyer's must see list. Some will be obvious while others will be more obscure.

This week we will start with a great classic Casablanca (1942). I know we are a little past Valentine's Day, but this romance film is one of the greatest. The American Film Institute rates at #3 all time. It would fall in my top 5 as well. Humphrey Bogart is stellar and the film delivers some of the most repeated and timeless lines in all of film. "Here's looking at you, kid."

No comments: