Monday, February 23, 2009

The Oscars




Unfortunately last night's Oscars were a little ho-hum for me. Of course I have only seen a few of the films nominated. I had heard Slumdog was a good film by some of my students and one worth to check out. I did see The Dark Knight, which thoroughly enjoyed (especially since I saw it in IMAX).

I tell my students while I think the the Oscars are important in pointing out extremely good work in the film industry it is also very political (where the politically incorrect is celebrated) and self-indulgent. Industry people patting themselves on the back for doing their job. I tout film as an art form and comparable to other forms of traditional art. For me, it's hard to imagine some of the classical artists throwing a lavish party and heaping praise whether deserving or not on each other.

Hypothetical Conversation -Leo what a great painting. Thanks Michael, that David you carved is superb. You should get an award - And for the category best nude sculpture, the winner is Michelangelo.

While I believe giving credit where credit is due- giving awards and lavish celebrations to artist for creating what they supposedly love doing seems strangely out of place.

I do enjoy when they poke fun at each themselves. Ben Stiller as Joaquin Phoenix (link to Phoenix on Letterman - watch this first) was pretty funny:

No comments: